In this activity, students construct a food web using string to show connections between species.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- describe relationships between particular organisms within the Antarctic ecosystem
- build their own food web to show the interdependence of organisms in an ecosystem.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do.
Try these similar activities:
- In Build a marine food web students build their own food web using images of organisms from the marine ecosystem. The activity can be completed indoors or outside.
- Marine ecosystem – this interactive diagram explores food webs and other aspects of life in the sea.
- Beach visits – habitats and food webs involves students in researching and then observing a range of organisms to understand the interconnected nature of ecosystems.
Listen to this Radio New Zealand programme entitled Sea Lions As Food Web Ambassadors. Lucy Jack is hoping that her research will give insights into marine food webs and how they’ve changed over time.